Gerald S. Stein, M.D. was Board Certified by the American Board of Psychiatry & Neurology With Additional Emphasis in Forensic Psychiatry. [Due for renewal.] Dr. Stein has provided effective courtroom testimony and expert forensic psychiatric opinions in full psychiatric evaluations and consultations for plaintiff and defense attorneys in well over 100 cases with numerous depositions and qualified testimony going back decades.
Dr. Stein’s areas of expertise include both Criminal and Civil Forensics. Criminal evaluations have ranged from Competence to Stand Trial, to cases of Attempted Capitol Murder [one ending in a NGRI decision], to charges of Murder in the First Degree.
Civil evaluations of psychic injury claimants include, but are not limited to:
- Diagnostic differentiation of apparent brain injury from readily treatable depression and post-traumatic states in auto accident claimants.
- His expertise in the diagnostic differentiation of Post-traumatic Stress Disorder from less serious states easily mistaken for it, was facilitated by years of mentoring, from the foremost U.S. expert on [non-combat] PTSD, Mardi Horowitz, M.D. This has led to extensive experience evaluating patients/claimants who witnessed or were involved in natural and man-made disasters, violence, abuse, sexual perpetration, and critical loss.
- Testamentary and Competency evaluations and determining Undue Influence, and other types of Competency evaluations.
- Diagnostic differentiation of psychosomatic disorders, malingering, factitious disorders, the effects of alcohol and substance abuse, and childhood and adult psychiatric disorders from acute job distress, stalking, or recent, personal crises.
- Diagnostic differentiation of apparent brain injury from readily treatable depression and post-traumatic states in auto accident claimants. My presentations to attorney groups going back over thirty years helped to popularize the use of brain scans like SPECT scans, then PET scans, rather than relying on neuropsychological testing.
© 2020 - GERALD S. STEIN, M.D.